Tassy Tiger team: Victorian Masters Carnival 2013

Peter Hubble, Grant Stump, Steve Harris, Michael Hegarty, Nigel O'Brien, Stuart Smith, Noel Peters, Steve Millington, Dave Humphries, Victor Zache, Jamie McIntyre, Paul McIntyre, Dave Coad, Norm Nicholson, Rob Permyakoff

Victorian Masters Carnival Ballarat 2013 results

Tassy Tigers           10       defeated    Werribee Bees  5

Tassy Tigers           12       defeated    Newport Rams  5

Mildura Wanderers   11      defeated    Tassy Tigers     8

Big Cat Tomatoes    14      defeated    Tassy Tigers     3

Fitzroy                    15      defeated    Tassy Tigers     4

Victorian Masters Carnival Ballarat 2013 report

History: AB (at bats); RBI (runs batted in); H (hits); W (walk); RS (runs scored).

Tassie’s involvement in this year’s competition got off to shaky start when we found out that Vic Zache had injured his leg prior to leaving Hobart and was not able to participate in this year’s competition.

Once problems with transportation were sorted out at Tullamarine Airport, the bulk of the touring party made their way to Ballarat, with the obligatory pub stop for lunch at Flannagans in Bacchus Marsh. No sooner had we settled in at our accommodation at Big 4 Goldfields, than we were off out to stock up on food and beer for our stay in Ballarat.


Our first game was at 8.30am on Friday 12th against the Bees and was played at Wakeling Field (below), which with its artificial infield and well grassed outfield, was pleasantly different to what we play on at home! Of course, having said that, the early sun made some plays very interesting!


Tassie jumped out to an early 8-0, thanks to fine pitching by Peter Hubble and timely hitting up and down the line-up. The Bees fought back with five runs over two innings but Tassie held on for a 10-5 victory. Stuart Smith was outstanding at third base while Peter Hubble (2 AB for 2 H, W and 2 RS ) and Nigel O’Brien (3 AB for 3 H,  3 RBI ) starred for Tassie but with 14 hits in total, it was a solid team effort. The winning pitcher was Peter Hubble who gave up 5 runs, 4 earned, in 4 innings of work and Steve Harris closed things out to secure the win.

There was no rest for Tassie as our second game followed immediately afterwards but on a different diamond, different in SO many ways to Wakeling Field!

Our opponents were the Newport Rams who jumped out to an early 5-0 lead and things looked bleak but Tassie continued its good form at the plate, scoring freely over the next four innings to win comfortably, 12-5. Noel Peters (3 AB, 2 H, 2 RBI), Peter Hubble (3 AB, 2 H, RBI) and Nigel O’Brien (3 AB, 2 H, W, 2 RBI’s) were the stars for Tassie but it was once again a consistent batting performance which won the day.


Having an unbeaten record, Tassie went in to day two with confidence and the knowledge that our first game was at a more reasonable hour of 10.30am!

Returning to the venue for game 2, we took on a new team to the competition, The Wanderers from Mildura. Tassie got off to a flying start, scoring five runs in the first innings but the Wanderers responded with four runs of their own in the bottom of that innings. Unlike yesterday’s games, Tassie was unable to capitalise with runners on base whereas, Mildura did and even though we got to within one run late in the game, Mildura held firm to win 11-8.

Grant Stump (2 AB, 2 H, 1RS) was consistent at the plate whilst Dave Humphries and Stuart Smith provided the bulk of the RBI’s with three and two respectively.

Game four and Tassie moved to a different ground to take on the Big Cat Tomatoes (I kid you not!) and it was not pretty. Great pitching and even better defence limited Tassie to three runs on five hits and we never recovered from the Cat’s seven run third innings. The final damage was a 14-3 loss but our biggest loss was to come in the medical room as one of our consistent performers, Nigel O’Brien, tweaked his hamstring and was ultimately ruled out of our next game.

Peter Hubble was our only consistent bat in the loss, scoring two runs and getting hit by a pitch in the process, whilst Noel Peters and Stuart Smith were stars in the field.


So it was, Tassie headed into day three with still a mathematical chance of making the grand final if other results went our way. Standing in our way; our regular nemesis, Fitzroy.

Things started off very well for Tassie and at the end of the first innings, we lead 3-2 but from thereon, things fell apart dramatically. Our cause was not helped by an injury to Dave Coad who had been starring at second base and with Nigel O’Brien also out; our reserves were stretched. Bad defence didn’t help and we were swept away, 15-4.

Steve Millington (3AB’s, 2H’s, 2RS’s 2RBI’s), who had provided stellar defence at first base throughout the competition, was the star with the bat but Steve Harris (2RBI’s) and Michael Hegarty (3AB’s, 1W, 2H’s, 1RS) provided solid support.

The Grand Final was played later that day between Fitzroy and the Wanderers with Fitzroy winning a thriller, 7-6.

So it was, another carnival was over but good fun was had by all. Tassie finished on the bottom of the ladder (below) but as you can see, it was a very tight competition with only run difference separating third and last positions.


Report by: David Searle